Epidemiology and Population Health
Viral Hepatitis Research Program
Status: This is a part-time (up to 15 hours/week) one-year contract with the possibility of extension.
Job start date: September 1, 2019
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience and consistent with PRA standards
Location: BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS (BC-CfE), St. Paul’s Hospital, Vancouver, BC
The BC-CfE is a world renown HIV/AIDS research centre including Research Laboratory, Clinical Trials, Drug Treatment Program, Epidemiology and Professional Education Programs. The BC-CfE Viral Hepatitis Research Program brings together research collaborations to monitor and evaluate the hepatitis C virus (HCV) epidemic in British Columbia. Focusing largely on the intersections between HCV, HIV, and addiction, the program aims to develop evidence-based research to inform health policy and practice.
Job: As an integral member of the research team, the peer research associate will assist the team in the implementation, and execution of HCV-related research and research-related activities. They will support the ongoing relationships and connection with community organizations and members. They may support knowledge translation and dissemination activities as part of the study protocol(s).
- To help ensure community engagement is central to the research process
- This position will involve many research protocol tasks, such as recruiting participants, obtaining consent, conducting questionnaires, administering honorarium to participants, maintaining records and completing other administrative research work.
- This role will involve working collaboratively with academic researchers, clinicians, and other PRAs, to fulfill the research goals and objectives.
- Assisting and providing direction on research projects related to hepatitis C, HIV, mental health, and other related conditions
- Liaising with community organizations and community members as a means of engagement with the research study team
- Maintains strict confidentiality related to identification and release of study data.
- Participate in online PRA training sessions
- Engage in self-learning before and after each training phase
- Participate in weekly check-in teleconferences with the project’s Research Coordinator, which will provide opportunities for the PRA to ask questions, identify areas of learning and to gain support
- Excited and passionate about working and/or learning about community-based research
- Knowledge of and experience working with communities living with by Hepatitis C
- Knowledge of and experience working with the communities in the downtown east side
- An understanding of harm reduction principles and practices
- An understanding of experiences of and common barriers facing people who use drugs
- An ability to act as a peer (lending lived experience, guiding research priorities)
- Enthusiasm to learn and be part of a dynamic team
- Reliable, motivated, and organized
- Basic computer competency and familiarity with e-mail and Internet
Please download, complete, and send applications to Human Resource Coordinator, BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS, Vancouver, BC, e-mail: [email protected]
Please note: Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.