Founded in 1987, McLaren Housing Society of B.C. (MHS) was the first HIV/AIDS housing provider in Canada. From a private residence offering accommodation to 5 people the organization has expanded to provide a variety of innovative affordable housing options and support services to more than 300 individuals and families in Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. McLaren works with a diverse clientele including those with disabilities, chronic health issues and the vulnerable population. Many identify as LGBTQ2 and a significant portion of clients are immigrants with varying social experiences. All live with a stigmatizing and marginalizing long term episodic health issue.
Purpose of the Position
The Community Engagement Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and organizing the agency’s involvement in various community events through the summer months. These events are vital in expanding MHS’s profile in the wider community, increasing awareness of our programs, and reducing the ever present stigma of being HIV+.
The position is full-time (40 hours/week) and based at Head Office 649 Helmcken Street, Vancouver.
The Community Engagement Coordinator reports to the Executive Director who has responsibility for all operations of the agency including community relations.
For detailed information on this employment opportunity and how to apply for this position visit us at www.mclarenhousing.org No phone calls please.
- Coordinate the agency’s annual Pride Parade Float in conjunction with local business sponsors, volunteers and staff.
- Coordinate the agency’s attendance and participation in Dance In Transit which is new partnership and initiative for McLaren in 2019.
- Assist the Executive Director and MHS contracted event planner with all aspects of Sparkle 2019 (annual fundraiser) including connecting with local businesses, sponsors and staff to ensure a successful event.
- Manage the agency’s social media profile including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts. Create media releases as required.
- Create and maintain a list of contacts and volunteers who can attend community gatherings and promote MHS programs and services to the wider community.
- Maintain a database for current and past donors to enable the agency to consolidate information for future community initiatives.
- Assist staff with formulating information materials and create resource packages for use at public events such as World AIDS Day.
- Demonstrated experience and an interest in event planning and marketing with the ability to organize and prioritize.
- Demonstrated experience in managing social media accounts including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Demonstrated experience, interest and an understanding of project management.
- Demonstrated understanding of the housing challenges facing marginalised communities notably people living with HIV/AIDS, mental illnesses and other health challenges.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with a strong attention to detail.
- Extensive experience with computers and using Office software.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with others in the LQBTQ2 and HIV community.
McLaren Housing Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and dedicated to diversity in the workplace.
Remuneration: $20.62 for a 40 hr. week. Hours of week to be negotiated but some flexibility, evenings and/or weekend work may be required. The position will be for 18 weeks. (Late April to late August)
Note: Funding for this position is dependent upon funds from Government of Canada Summer Jobs initiative.
Send your resume and cover letter to:
Kim Stacey Executive Director
McLaren Housing Society of BC
200-649 Helmcken Street
Vancouver, BC, V6B 5R1
Or Fax: 604-669-4092
Application deadline: Friday April 5th 2019 at 4 PM Pacific Time