The Property Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of 1249 Howe Street, a 110 unit HIV + supportive housing community, located and operated by McLaren Housing Society of B.C. (MHS). He/she will work in collaboration with the Senior Management Team (SMT) to ensure that the building operations, policies and procedures are being carried out based on best practice, in alignment with the goals and deliverables of the operating agreement with B.C Housing and MHS vision and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise 1249 Howe Street’s daily operations. Oversee the scheduling of Building Attendants (BA’s) and Lifeskills Workers (LSW’s) as per program requirements. Ensure program standards are maintained and work activities are monitored. Provide facilitation and resolutions to work problems by establishing priorities, providing employee guidance & coordinating and facilitating regular staff meeti
- Ensure Howe Street is a comfortable, clean and safe place for residents, staff, visitors & volunteers. This includes documenting and reporting incidents to the proper authorities (MHS SMT, VPD, Emergency services and VCH etc.) while completing the related paper work resulting from an injury and or policy/tenancy violations.
- Ensure Work Safe, Fire Safety and Standard Labour Laws are being followed and proper procedures, and testing of life and safety devices are in place and planned for.
- Provide on call support for building, resident and staff emergencies ensuring there is a direct contact for staff when Resident Support staff are not on site.
- Work with the SMT regarding maintenance and janitorial issues at Howe Street ensuring the quality of work and preventive, corrective maintenance is being applied in a cost effective and timely matter.
- Coordinate and oversee all move in’s and move out’s & ensure rent/damage deposits and any other financial responsibilities regarding new tenancies are arranged and documented with the Howe’s Office Manager/ Accountant.
- In conjunction with the SMT, identify, provide appropriate documentation and represent the agency in legal hearings R.T.O (Arbitration Hearings) when a breach of tenancy has been identified.
- Liaise, develop partnerships and foster good relationships with residents, outside agencies, contractors and the community at large.
- Perform other related duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Executive Director
- Assist the HR & Operations Manager in recruitment of Howe St. employees. Supervise, evaluate and discipline staff and in collaboration with the HR & Operations Manager, when necessary, terminate employees.
- Investigate work and staff issues and initiate disciplinary action up to and including termination in consultation with the Operations/HR Manager.
- Provide feedback and opportunities to SMT for staff training.
- Oversee and foster a strong staff team to ensure adequate support and structure is developed
- Develop and maintain communication protocols to ensure a flow of information between shifts, including general staff meetings.
- Schedule staff accordingly, recognising contractual and budgetary needs, while ensuring that there are 2 staff 24/7 and that staff consistency is maintained.
- Approve time sheets and correspond with MHS’s finance dept. regarding biweekly payroll.
- Work with MHS finance dept. regarding rent arrears.
- Issue written notices for tenancy violations.
- Ensure all Tenant files and appropriate documentation is current and in line with all the funding and legal requirements. (RTA, P.I.P.A , Subsidy requirements) This also extends to the Support files.
- Complete building statistical data as required.
- Maintains a close and ongoing collaborative relationship with the tenants and support staff, to form a link between landlord and tenant.
- Fully explain expectations and tenant responsibilities and ensure that potential or current tenants understand the Tenancy Agreement.
- Advocate and support residents to maintain their Tenancy and assist with crisis management when needed.
- In collaboration with the Resident Support staff assess resident needs, identify appropriate programming and assist with implementation.
- Assist the Support team to meet the everyday delivery of programs, ensuring the ongoing needs of residents are met, while making changes where necessary.
Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge and familiarity working with related resources including Health, Ministry of Social Development, Addictions and Mental Health services.
- Experience in managing and supervising a staff team.
- Sound maintenance knowledge and the ability to understand mechanical equipment and building related equipment.
- Demonstrated willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a challenging and changing work environment while maintaining efficiency.
- Ability to deal with non-routine situations in a calm yet decisive manner, taking into consideration all possible scenarios and outcomes of the situation.
- Ability to work co-operatively with others in a team environment while providing work direction.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and oral, with co-workers, community agencies, funders the management team, and the board of directors. An ability to support a strong culture of collaboration and accountability.
- Ability to maintain neat and organized records and documents.
- Excellent computer skills with experience in Excel and Microsoft office.
- Have a strong working knowledge of the R.T.A and Work Safe B.C protocols.
Education, Training and experience
- A degree in a related field or a combination of post-secondary education with a minimum of 5yrs working in the social service sector with a vulnerable population.
- First Aid
- Crisis intervention
- Food Safe
Interested and suitably qualified applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format to [email protected] or by fax to 604-669-4092. Closing date is Friday March 22nd, 2019 at 12 noon.
Salary $54,000.00 – $56,000.00
Thank you in advance for your interest but only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more about McLaren Housing Society