Excerpt, Charity Village posting
The Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation provides compassionate HIV care for people living with significant health and social issues including mental illness, trauma, addictions, unstable housing and poverty.
Through its day health, 24-hour care residence and enhanced supportive housing programs, the Dr. Peter Centre provides healthy meals, counselling, therapies, nursing, and a safe place for peer socialization and support. This integrated model of care successfully engages individuals in their health care, improving adherence to HIV treatment and overall health.
We are currently looking for a full time Communications Officer to join our Philanthropy and Communications Department.
As a member of the Philanthropy & Communications team, the Communications Officer is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the communications plan to help achieve the goals and objectives of the strategic plan of the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation.
The Communications Officer reports to the Director of Development and is responsible for the following:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive and integrated communications plan that supports the strategic plan of the Foundation;
- Facilitating media relations, public relations and government relations;
- Designing the foundation website, e-blasts, annual reports, newsletters, brochures, and other collateral marketing and communications materials;
- Managing the execution of above mentioned materials;
- With the support of an external Designer, managing the development and execution of event related materials;
- Developing social media messaging and keeping all online communications portals and other electronic tools current and up to date;
- Identifying and interviewing subjects for articles, testimonials, photo shoots and videos;
- Scheduling and briefing subjects for media interviews;
- Preparing press releases, organizational correspondence, briefing notes, reports, presentations, stewardship cards, committee agendas and minutes;
- Delivering a public/media event for World AIDS Day;
- Supporting fundraising events produced by the Philanthropy Team; contributing to the content development for grant funding opportunities;
- Applying for awards and recognition opportunities without a monetary component;
- Stewarding prospects, media, clients, staff and volunteers appropriately;
- Developing efficient, effective and appropriate procedures;
- Reporting on communications plan progress to the Director of Development;
- Contributing to an environment of collaboration, respect and teamwork;
- Representing the Dr. Peter AIDS Foundation and the Dr. Peter Centre in a professional and ethical manner to ensure that the reputation of the Foundation is maintained and enhanced;
- Conducting all business activities in accordance with Dr. Peter Foundation terms and conditions of employment, policies and procedures;
- Performing other related duties as assigned/required.
Education, Qualifications and Experience:
The preferred education, qualifications and experience of the Communications Officer are:
- Undergraduate degree or certificate in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related discipline; or equivalent training and experience;
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in communications;
- Understanding of issues faced by vulnerable populations, including people living with HIV/AIDS, mental illness, addiction, poverty, homelessness, &/or discrimination.
The Communications Officer must possess the following competencies:
- Strong work ethic, highly motivated and enthusiastic;
- Commitment to accuracy, consistency, sensitivity and confidentiality of information;
- Time management and organizational skills;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Relationship stewardship talent;
- Marketing communications aptitude;
- Intermediate web design, social media and graphic design skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication proficiency;
- Collaborative approach;
- Commitment to the cause and the organization.